Caring for your wood floor is Easy
When life gets messy, you need a floor thats easy to clean.
FEB 20, 2019 by SHAUN BEZUIDENHOUT
WHAT TO DO:
- Clean regularly with a broom or dust mop or even vacuum using the bare floor setting to remove dust and dirt.
- Clean the floors periodically with a professional wood floor cleaning product recommended by a wood flooring professional.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a dry or slightly damp cloth.
- Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning recommendations.
WHAT NOT TO DO:
- Use wet mops or steam mops, which can dull the finish and even damage the wood.
- Use vinyl or tile cleaning products on wood floors. Self-polishing acrylic waxes cause wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly.
- Use wood furniture polish, which can make the floor dangerously slippery, and damage the finish.
- Over-wax a wood floor. If a wax floor dulls, try buffing instead.
Individual maintenance schedules will vary depending on use, wear and tear, and lifestyle, but here are some additional tips for keeping your floors beautiful:
- Use throw rugs at doorways to help prevent debris from being tracked in and scratching the floor.
- Put stick-on felt protectors under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
- Avoid walking on your wood floors with sports cleats and high heels.
- When moving heavy furniture, pick it up instead of sliding it across the floor.